Sunday, October 7, 2012

Insomnia leads to poetry (attempt).


You know those nights. When you are just staring at the street light and irritating your partner all night being awake. This can lead to arguments in the morning but luckily there IS something positive that can be got from all this non-sleeping.

Recently I read some news about something called the "second sleep". There are many references to this "second sleep" in literature. Perhaps intrigued by this mysterious reference, researchers studying sleeping patterns interestingly found that the study subjects often woke up in the middle of the night, quite awake and aware, staying up for a few hours before drifting back into a "second sleep". 

It seems that this type of sleeping patterns could be more natural for the body than the traditional 8-hr night that we now follow. And during this awake period is when creative ideas and clear thinking comes out, because our brain has had an opportunity to absorb and filter all the information and feelings from the previous day. Apparently, this time is a most productive time, for things like sex (right, of course), writing, and solving problems. This is a super positive. We don't have to feel bad awake laying awake at night anymore, instead we can just get up do whatever our heart desires.

If you are intrigued by the subject, here are two related books (which I have not read):
  1. Evening's Empire by Craig Koslofsky
  2. Day's Close: Night in Times Past by A. Roger Ekirch

So, on this particular sleepless night, I was inspired to write. Poetry. A surely peculiar thing, because, I work in tech, so you can imagine how creative I am usually. Could it be related to this idea of "second sleep"? What do you think?

My Companion



The wet night frowns
At the rash, on my skin,
painted by the scorching heat of day.

On the canvas, I brush,
where I lie
frantic strokes of ointment
my attempt,
to cheer up the night.

But my artistry, in vain.
The oily glean
determinedly concealed.
in darkness, a faint scent of mint

finally the cool front hits
burning heat extinguished,
like the rain soothed the night.
We are both content.

In this summer rain,
the night is my loyal companion
while others lay asleep

No comments:

Post a Comment